Jeridiah

Default Found a BackHoe

"RogerN" wrote in message hlink.net...
Oh, yeah, another find was a guy at work has a good condition John Deere
~95HP 4020 tractor (gas) with a front end loader (straight bucket) asking
$8000.

I think I would rather have a smaller tractor for bush hogging and the
backhoe for the heavier cleanup. I have 3 or 4 cisterns and 1 well to fill
up, plus 2 buildings to destroy, several trees to remove, land to level for
a shop building, plus I would like to dig a pond.

$8000 for a 4020 is a pretty good price, assuming it is in good
condition. At least in my neighborhood(SE MN) it is. I have seen
some absolutely beat 4020s bring $6-7000. The loader should be worth
something too.

The 4020 is a nice utility tractor and probably the most popular
tractor JD(or maybe anyone) has ever made. I prefer a 4020D(but they
are a little harder to find).

Can't speak for the backhoe, but the tractor would be a good deal at
that rate. The backhoe "may" be a better choice for you, but I don't
think you could go to far wrong with the 4020.

Do you know which loader he has on it? If it is a JD model, it is
probably a 140 model. A pretty good smaller loader attachment.
Typically $1500-2500 in the open market in my area. Not to hard to
change the buckets or make various attachments to fit the front.

Is it a synchrorange or powershift(hydrostatic) transmission? IMHO
the synchro is better, but you may prefer a powershift for what you
want to do with this.

JW