Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Big box store pricing.

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
"Big_Jake" wrote:

I agree with the other poster who said that Lowe's and Home Depot
carry a broader range of SKU's. When they first came to town, I was
excited to see that they carried a much broader range of copper
fittings for plumbing than Menards, but they have whittled that down
quite a bit

I think the whole big box diy model has changed over time. When they first
showed up, they stocked they exact same material and brands you'd find at
a good
supply house. The convenience of being able to get that all in one
location with
staff that knew what they were talking about was what led to their
popularity.

Unfortunately, once they reached critical retail mass, they could start
demanding manufacturers provide consumer grade products that had better
margins.
That and optimizing the product mix for profit instead of completeness
make them
less useful stores.

It may have to do with the individual store itself. I've noticed that the
Lowe's in Bellevue, where I used to live, carried a smattering of plumbing
products that I needed. When I moved across the way I noticed that the
store nearest me carried lots of plumbing, but little electrical. Overall
it seems that each store carries what sells in their area rather than a
single product line across all stores. I don't know about HD, I only buy
Leviton switches and outlets from them - nothing else if I can help it.