Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jazon48@yahoo.com is offline

Default Wood Filler For Exterior Wood Patching ?

On Mar 4, 1:37 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

Have a piece of our patio door (a wooden section) that has a bit of rot in
it.

But 99 % of the door is just fine.

Thought I could scrape out the bad part and "fill" it in with something, and
re-paint the area.

i remember from years ago there was a product called Plastic-Wood.

I imagine by now there are lots of "better" wood fillers available for
exterior use.

Anybody able to recommend any (remember, it has to be for exterior, and
set-up hard) ?

BTW: Any with epoxy in them as a component ?

Thanks,
Bob

I use plastic wood products for small repairs only. They are
not that strong and are surprisingly difficult to use since the
solvent evaporates so rapidly.

I use Bondo-type unsaturated polyester products for larger repairs.
I have some Bondo-type repairs of rotted wood doing well after 3 years
in the Tampa area and 3 years in upper Michigan.

I have not tried the more expensive epoxy products yet.

I would expect the epoxy to outperform the Bondo (unsaturated
polyester) when dealing with exterior concrete repair. I would expect
both to perform similarly in exterior wood repair (i.e. exterior wood
is poor substrate and the superior adhesive properties of the epoxy
would be wasted).

Waterproof your repair or it won't last.

I would expect both to outperform plastic wood in any exterior
application.

Jason