Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper

Has anyone really seen mice eat through PVC?

I've never heard of a mouse eating PVC pipe, but they'll chew through just
about anything if they have a reason. Better to get rid of the mice than
worry about whether they'll eat your plumbing. (They'll eat your food too,
but you don't avoid food because of it).

I took a pass by Home Depot the other day and noticed that
they don't even sell PEX.

We have a Lowes and three Home Depots in our area. I think I have seen a
roll of PEX at Lowes, and maybe one of the Home Depot's. But, it was on a
bottom shelf, you had to look hard for it.

We bought all our PEX pipe at our HD.
They even had a few PEX fittings as well.

And that's the catch. PEX isn't of much use without the appropriate
fittings, manifolds, and the crimping tool. Even if I was lucky enough to
find the PEX I needed at the home centers, I couldn't do anything with it
unless I had the fittings and the tool.

You could always order everything you need online, or at a local plumbing
supply, but that isn't much help if you spring a leak and need to make
emergency repairs. Sure, leaks shouldn't occur under normal circumstances,
but accidents happen. You could accidently pierce a pipe in a wall with a
nail while hanging a picture, or the fabled mouse could chew a hole in the
pipe. Using CPVC makes it easy to go to any local store and get the
supplies I need to fix it. And since no special tools are required, I can
easily keep a few supplies on hand just for those kinds of emergencies.

Anthony