Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Making consistent spaced holes on Drill Press

On Mar 4, 3:13 pm, wrote:
I am looking for a good way to make consistently spaced holes on
drill press. I need to make about 20 holes 1/2 inch apart in a
straight line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm curious to see what shortcuts other people use, but I'll describe
what I'd do.
The straight line part is easy - set up a fence or clamp a board to
your DP table so the bit hits your workpiece where you want it to for
the first hole.
For the spacing, I'd use a ruler against the top of the workpiece and
mark every 1/2". Then line up that mark with a corresponding mark on
your "fence", and drill away. Or, if you have a thick ruler or if you
clamped a ruler to your "fence" board, you could just make one line on
your workpiece, and align that with the 1/2" marks on the ruler/fence.
Let me know if my description isn't clear...
Andy