Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning,sci.engr.joining.welding
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Selecting Machines For A Home Shop

wrote:
On Mar 3, 2:00 pm, Brian Henderson
wrote:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:57:09 GMT, Lobby Dosser

wrote:
Brian Henderson wrote:
Then I'm not typical because the overwhelming majority of my buys
have been brand new. Then again, just about every serious
woodworker I know also bought primarily new. The cost of a pretty
decent shop is going to be in the neighborhood of $10K, if you can
find a house for that much, buy it.
Does that include the forklift?

I have yet to ever find myself needing a forklift of any size and
only once or twice thought a pallet jack might be sort of useful.
Where are you going to park the forklift when you're not using it
anyhow? Isn't that just wasted space that you could have more tools
or storage?

Access to a forklift and pallet jack would be very nice. All of the
shipping of large woodworking tools come to the freight terminal in
your city unless you ask for curbside delivery with a liftgate truck.
And that costs a hundred or so more dollars. With a forklift and
pallet jack you would not have to pay this extra shipping fee.

I can't see where the pallet jack helps unless you have a dock.

OTOH, it seems to me that a clever wooddorker might build a deck the
right height to be a dock and be careful with the gardening and problem
solved.

The house I grew up in was actually built that way--you could back an
18-wheeler up to the front porch and start unloading. Then my mother
started gardening . . .

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)