Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Well Pump Short Cycling

On Mar 3, 8:35 pm, "Bob S." wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:15 pm, "Bob S." wrote:

On Mar 3, 9:51 pm, "Harry K" wrote:

Except that isn't his problem. He has changed the pre-charge
correctly witht the tank empty so there is plenty of air in it.

Sorry, you're right. I read too fast and missed the "when empty"
part.
Bob S.

Wait, maybe I apologized too fast. How does he know the tank is empty?
If the tank is waterlogged from a split in the bladder, the water
between the tank wall & bladder wouldn't drain off. There would still
be air at the top of the tank to give a pressure reading, but pressure
switch operation would be very squirrley. That's what happened to
mine, but I had the additional clue of rusty water when it sat
overnight. I still think it is a "possibility".

Good point but I don't see it going to that extreme. He did say he
had raised the pressure more than 10 pounds IIRC. That much air would
have at least changed the period of short cycling.

I am stumped as to why it would do it in 1 sec. I can't even see an
overheat condition ocurring that fast.

Harry K