Posted to rec.arts.books,sci.physics,alt.home.repair
Paul B. Andersen Paul B. Andersen is offline

Default Myth: Heat Rises

Dan Espen wrote:
"J Seymour MacNicely" writes:

Now don't ask a fool like me to explain just how or why a region of
lesser heat or 'cold' would act as a sort of magnet for infra-red
radiation. I am too foolish to have figured that out yet. I just
know from empirical observation of the facts from the master bedroom
that this is the case--from my cold bare feet, I am one fool who knows
what he's talking about here.

You can't explain this magnet effect because it doesn't exist.

It exists.
It's called the second law of thermodynamics.

Dan Espen has a point, even if he doesn't express it very well.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/physics_of_foil.htm

Paul