jim rozen

Default the Home Schooled was Clark is correct

In article , T.Inoue says...

;;;. Private schools in our affluent neck of the woods don't
have the funding to attract quality teachers. Nor do their teachers
need the same level of qualification.

That's certainly true. What amazes me is that the school my
kid went to could attract as good a caliber of staff, given
what I surmise they must have been paying.

It may be that the teachers there also recognize that they
will have somewhat more autonomy to grade and discipline,
and don't like working in a union shop.

So why do private school students often beat the averages? As others
have noted - when you cherry-pick, you are pre-selecting the group and
this skews the stats. I would bet a significant amount of money that
if you swapped the student populations between a private school and a
public school, and had the students go through another several years
of schooling, that suddenly the stats would show that the public
school students did better than those from private schools. It's the
starting population, not the teaching ability. But this is all a
guess.

I think that's a pretty good guess. Thanks for the thoughtful
post.

Jim

please reply to: