Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default reusing PEX fittings

"Eigenvector" writes:

One of the reasons I brought it up was because of the whole flap with PB and
the problems that originated from the installation. It was my understanding
that improper installation at the fittings was the real cause of all the
failures PB had.

As I understand it, it was choice of fittings too. Some PB used metal
fittings and crimp rings, while some was installed with plastic
fittings. The plastic fittings broke down over time and developed
leaks, while the metal ones were apparently better. Of course, using
unskilled labour to install the pipe could have resulted in some bad
crimp connections too.

Our house has a PB main water feed, which used to be connected to the
copper in-house plumbing using a plastic compression fitting. Our house
inspector recommended replacing it. So we had a plumber do that while
he was here doing some other work. He removed the plastic coupling and
installed a PEX to MPT crimp coupling, a few inches of PEX, and then a
PEX to PB crimp adapter.

We also have a couple of runs of PB inside the house, feeding the two
outdoor taps. These are all copper crimp fittings, and seem to be OK so
far.

Dave