Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric9822 Eric9822 is offline

Default Window sill material

On Mar 3, 7:33 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

news

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
What is a window sill typically made of? I'm more interested in standard
construction rather than custom endangered species rainforest wood or
something like that.

I'm just about ready to start replacing my windows and I'm looking at the
window sill and framing material - 3/4" plywood. Seems pretty damn
chintzy to me, especially around something that will in all likelyhood
get damp or wet at some point. I'm personally not going to replace it
with plywood, but I wanted to level set my thinking here and make sure
I'm not being overly harsh on the contractor who built the place. 1960
is the build date for this house.

Who cares what it's made of? No matter what, you will paint or otherwise
coat it as if it was a piece of balsa wood lashed to the mast of a
sailboat about to go around the world eight time. You'll use the best
paint you can find in your town, or marine grade polyurethane, because as
you said, that wood's going to be exposed to moisture. And, as you did not
say, it'll be exposed to sunlight.

Well maybe I used the wrong terminology here. I mean the framing on the
INSIDE of the window, the window box material. Guess I'm not totally sure
what to call it. It isn't automatically painted, the front window of my
house has a piece of cedar for a sill.- Hide quoted text -

I usually use clear douglas fir or pine if it is to be painted.