Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment
MassiveProng MassiveProng is offline

Default Calibration Of Electronic Equipment In The Home Workshop

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:32:57 +1000, The Real Andy
Gave us:

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:04:08 -0800, MassiveProng
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:14:56 +1000, The Real Andy
Gave us:

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:21:44 -0800, MassiveProng
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 20:44:19 -0600, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

MassiveProng wrote:
On 2 Mar 2007 15:09:30 -0800, "David L. Jones"
Gave us:

Which is why you do it for each range and then spot check it to see
that there is no funny business. Perfectly valid technique for home
calibration of a scope vertical scale.

Dave

It doesn't matter how many "places" you "spot check" it, you are not
going to get the accuracy of your comparison standard on the device
you intend to set with it. What you do is take the basic INaccuracy
of the device needing to be set, and add to it the basic INaccuracy of
the standard to which you are setting it. You CANNOT get any closer
than that. So, a 0.5% meter, and a 0.5% scope cannot be used together
to make the scope that accurate. You need a *finer* standard than the
accuracy level you wish to achieve.

You need to understand that as a basic fact, chucko.

The "basic fact" here is that we were talking about adjusting a 3% scope
with a .03% meter.
]
Nope. READ HIS replies. He was talking about using a 3% meter.

Now that the number are back where they belong, please
procede to restate your case.

**** you. Read HIS criteria, dip****, don't impose yours. Remeber,
it was ME that stated that the cal device had to be ten times more
accurate than the target to be cal'd. So **** off.

The scope's vertical sensitivity could easily
be adjusted to within 3% using said meter, now can't it? Just like Keith
says......

That is NOT what the retarded ******* said, you retarded *******.

Ahhh, who actually uses a scope to make accurate measurements?

I guess the same idiots that claim they can calibrate one with a 3%
meter.

My point exactly.

Good thing I never made that claim.

Also, if you do NOT know how to make accurate measurements with
scopes, you should be in some other industry.

More to the point, if you dont understand the concept of error then
you should be in another industry.

That is about the gist of what I have been trying to tell them.

Some dope thinking he can adjust his meter accurately with a damned
drifty voltage reference chip should have his head examined, not his
instruments!