Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Global Warming - It NEVER Happened Before

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:43:10 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On 3 Mar 2007 17:28:00 -0800, wrote:

On Mar 3, 3:00 pm, Bruce wrote:
So, if the concentration of greenhouse gases in
the atmosphere increases, the temperature will
increase until the Earth again is radiating as much
heat as is absorbed from the sun and produced
by radioactive decay and tidal friction.

Again, looking at much of the research the temperature increase _preceeds_
the CO2 increase.
http://www.brighton73.freeserve.co.u...00000yrfig.htm
You claim the opposite, based on what?

Causality.

Um, FF, you *do* know what causality is, right? If so, then you
recognize that Bruce is correct in this assessment regarding past data
invalidating the idea that rise in CO2 is the causal agent for temperature
increase.

Your argument would appear to be based on correlation.

Um, no, correlation would be different.

Relying on correlation without an understanding of causality
is always perilous. It is particularly inappropriate to rely
on past correlations to extrapolate from present conditions
as the present conditions are unprecedented.

Ah, so in the past, global warming preceeded increased global temperature

should have said, "global warming preceeded increased CO2 concentrations.

[given that one can extrapolate data to the degree of precision being
indicated, but I digress]. However, now, since that wouldn't work for the
GW theorists, things are different.

Man, I love this theory, no matter what happens, it is true, past data is
no indication of future results. Colder than average temperatures are
indications of the truth of global warming, more snowstorms ... Where do
*I* sign up for a theory such that no matter what happens, it's right?