Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window sill material

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
What is a window sill typically made of? I'm more interested in standard
construction rather than custom endangered species rainforest wood or
something like that.

I'm just about ready to start replacing my windows and I'm looking at the
window sill and framing material - 3/4" plywood. Seems pretty damn
chintzy to me, especially around something that will in all likelyhood get
damp or wet at some point. I'm personally not going to replace it with
plywood, but I wanted to level set my thinking here and make sure I'm not
being overly harsh on the contractor who built the place. 1960 is the
build date for this house.

Who cares what it's made of? No matter what, you will paint or otherwise
coat it as if it was a piece of balsa wood lashed to the mast of a sailboat
about to go around the world eight time. You'll use the best paint you can
find in your town, or marine grade polyurethane, because as you said, that
wood's going to be exposed to moisture. And, as you did not say, it'll be
exposed to sunlight.