Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default reusing PEX fittings

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:40:14 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:48:17 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

What's the consensus here - should the PEX fittings be reused if the
line
has to be cut and reworked? I cut some old PEX lines that I installed
about
a year ago and I noticed that there was some blackish residue on the
fitting - rust from the galvanized to PEX interface most likely. But I
notice the discoloration and the fact that the crimp ring to some extent
distorts the fitting and it makes me wonder if I should discard old
fittings.

My instructions are vague about re-using a fitting. It simply says
..if you make a bad crimp - cut it out and replace it....

No mention of distortion in the fitting.
--
Oren

Well by definition it is a compression fitting - some distortion is
required. Doesn't mean it's automatically bad of course.

I would not be scared to cut the crimp off the fitting with a Dremel
tool and use the fitting again. Using the GO-NO GO gauge, the crimp
can best determine the proper crimp.

I'm sure many fittings have been used a second time.

I think you mean using a dremel to cut off the ring and use the fitting
again. This also assumes that the fitting (nipple) has not been deformed.
Unless the fitting is deformed or corroded it is fine to reuse the fitting.