Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bill@love.ranch is offline

Default Simple Variac Question

Actually, it is not a transformer.

It is ONE coil of wire connected across the AC supply with a variable
tap. Output is tied between tap and (Hopefully) neutral of the AC
input.

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:51:20 GMT, James Sweet

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

It is NOT a transformer. = NO isolation.

Well it is a transformer, it's just one that has one side of the
secondary tied directly to one side of the primary, hence no isolation.

You can get cheap 1:1 isolation transformers, they're sold for use with
older video arcade monitors. Any place that sells amusement supplies
should have them. I get most of my parts here
http://homearcade.org/BBBB/ Not sure offhand what current the
transformers are good for, but usually a few amps.