Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Super Nova vs. Oneway Chucks

William B Noble (don't reply to this address) wrote:

both the chucks you suggest will be fine. I don't like the "gear"
that Nova uses, I prefer chucks that tighten with an allen wrench -
the gear type tends to cam out and wear, it's much hardter to make it
really tight if you need to. My chuck of choice is a different brand
than those two, key consideration though was tightening via an allen
wrench not a bevled gear. (yes, I also have a Nova, use it for
smaller stuff)

Once again, late to another thread.

The SuperNova2 uses a ball head allen wrench to tighten the jaws
- with just one hand. THAT's really really handy when you've got
the big cherry piece slice sized jaws on the chuck. And because
the provided ball ended allen wrench hat a nice T-handle on it,
you can tighten those jaws down as tight as you want to.

All edges and corners that your knuckles are capable of making
contact with have their edges eased or actually rounded. Contact
will get your attention -but won't remove flesh. You have to
have made contact with the old machinist three or four jaw
chuck to REALLY appreciate this little detail.

While I haven't chucked up any green two foot long, 18" diameter
chunks of wood in one, the SuperNova2 has held a 10" diameter
by 8" long piece of green claro walnut while I cut away everything
that didn't look like a bowl.

Don't have a Stuby or big OneWay to try the SN2 on so I don't
know if it'd hold a tree trunk, but I'm guessing the beefiest
jaw set for the SN2 could do it.

charlie b