Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Don Don is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message
.. .
In article , one-if-by-
(Don) says...

We're surrounded by tall trees and the dish has to face south.
I was told the 2 way internet dishes are more sensitive than the 1 way TV
dishes and after having both for almost a year now I agree.
Our internet will go out much more frequently than the TV.

That's because satellite TV is KU band, and satellite internet is KA
band. Both of them get absorbed by water, but KA band is absorbed at a
much faster rate. Clouds get in the way.

Too bad about the trees. Putting a dish on the roof makes maintenance a
bitch.

You know it.
2 weeks ago during the ice storm the dish was covered in ice and wouldn't
work.
No way in hell I was gonna get on that ice covered roof to chip the ice off.
So I tried spraying it with the water hose.
The temp was so low the water froze as soon as it hit creating 3' long
icicles.