Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Automatic Garage Door Opening/Closing Problems

wrote:
On Mar 3, 8:27 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:15 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
RBM wrote:
It sounds like the limit switches need to be readjusted. At the
moment the door reaches bottom or top, a limit switch should stop
the motor

Or replaced. In any case that seems to be the problem. Take a
good look at the wires to make sure they are intact.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

I don't think there are limit switches in any current vintage garage
door openers. They measure movement by counting pulses from the
gear drive.

I just checked the Genie site and they still show limit switches
on their description of how they work.

Interesting. I wonder why they still use them.

I would guess because they work?? It would be interesting to know
what the various failure rates are but the switches are relatively simple
devices and do seem to work well and reliably. Pulse counting could
certainly work, but I see some potential problems with it.

I've had several
Craftsman over the years as well as a 20 year old LiftMaster. Neither
brand used actual switches on the tracks to set the limits. I think
they track movement by counting pulses from the gear train, which
sounds like a simple design, less wires to run, switches to go bad,
etc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -