Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Gas Hot Water Heater Making Whining Noise

Kim,

Here is the best info on water heaters that I have ever seen. Especially
read the part about flushing and checking the anode.

http://waterheaterrescue.com/

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello Everyone,

My gas hot water heater is making a high-pitched whining noise in the
evenings. This has happened two nights in a row at about 7pm. No
water using appliances had been used, nor had anyone in the house used
the shower or tub in the hours before the noise. The first time it
happened, I turned on the hot water in the kitchen, and the sound
stopped. I thought that was a fluke but tried it again last night.
Sure enough, the sound stopped abruptly as soon as the water in the
kitchen got warm after I turned it on.

Does anyone know what the cause of this might be and if it is
dangerous? The water heater is about 7 years old and it was pre-
installed in my manufactured home that was built in 2000.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kim