Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hank Hank is offline

Default Easy list of building regs applicable to houses converted to 2 flats?

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:12:54 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

As the conversion was sone in 1993 (I think), I think it might

only
need to be brought up to 1992 regulations, but I may be wrong.

Seems like I might be wise to take out buiding regs indemnity
insurance, so that if I am ordered to upgrade the specs by BCO,
I will be covered for the costs.

If the conversion was done then, Building Control have no power to
require anything except under related powers regarding dangerous
structures, public health issues (drainage) and the like.

This is the first time I've heard this, so thank you for that! None of
four solicitors has told me that before. However, I'm not sure
exactly how many aspects of my conversion job could be threatened by
the dangerous structures and public health rules. It all seems very
safe to me and has stood the test of time, but no doubt the rules are
not interested in that.

Perhaps I should quit worrying and just apply for a certificate of
lawful use from the council (on the basis of established use) and then
go ahead and sell the flats separately - perhaps taking out building
regs indemnity on the two flats, to make any prospective buyer and his
solicitor happy?

Or will applying for a certificate of lawful use put me in danger of
being ordered to undo the conversion - or the drainage that was part
of the conversion?

The only proof I have of established use is 14 years of council tax
bills (separate ones for each flat). Apart from that, the only way it
could be proved might be to get a physicist to carbon-date some of the
materials used!

Hank