Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Well Pump Short Cycling

On Mar 3, 9:42 am, wrote:
For the first time I'm having issues with an older pump. Currently the
pump is short cycling.. Here are the specs.

1/3 hp pump down about 180 feet (Pump is original at 30 years old)
Well recharge rate it about 1gpm
WellxTrol 20gal tank
Pressure Switch is set to 44-64psi

The pump kicks on at 44psi, runs for a 1 second, then turns off for
45-60 seconds
It takes 15-20 to bring the tank up to 64psi, running 1 sec on 45 off
the entire time.

I checked the tank pressure when it was empty and it was at 25psi.. I
charged to 38 and refilled -- still short cycled, I charged to 42psi
(manufacturers recomendation of 2psi below cutin) and it still short
cycled.

I don;t think the well is dry as the short cycling was observed last
evening and this morning (12 hours of recharge on the well).

Any thoughts??

It sound like your pump needs to be replaced after 30 years. To do
this you would contact the company who drilled the well. Their name
should be on the well. Where I live the driller has to clearly mark
their name on the well. If they can't be found then you will have to
hire another similar company.

Usually a plumber won't work on your well. You have to hire a well
drilling company. They will have to pull 180 feet of casing out of
the well with pump attached. It is a tough job. Best to have a
replacement ready to go.