Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bill@love.ranch is offline

Default Simple Variac Question

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

It is NOT a transformer. = NO isolation.

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:28:52 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:41:12 +0000, Matthew Rossiter wrote:

I built a test fixture for doing all kinds of different things. One of
the
ideas I had in mind was using a Variac to adjust AC voltage for certain
types of monitors, one which requires two 45VAC inputs.

Would I be able to use a VARIAC to set the voltage to 90 VAC and have
both
terminals deliver equal 45VAC in reference to ground?

Thanks

Matt

The output of a variable AC supply is almost always isolated from any
reference to any kind of "ground" you might be thinking of.

COOSN-266-06-25794

I would have to disagree there. A variable AC source in the form of a
traditional variac, is an adjustable autotransformer, which means that one
of the line legs - lets call it "neutral" or "cold" - is common to both the
input and output, which means that the variable output is referenced to the
incoming supply, which is itself tied to ground at the local substation in
most countries, as far as I know. A variac does not provide any form of
electrical isolation, so the output from it *must not* be treated as
'bench-safe', unless its input is plugged into a proper isolation
transformer.

Arfa