Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hank Hank is offline

Default Easy list of building regs applicable to houses converted to 2 flats?

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:03:26 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Thanks for the input. If you are right,

Sorry just ignore me... what I was saying would be the scenario if you
were carrying out the conversion now, not 15 years ago.

Is this not one of those situations where your solicitor just tells you
to buy a 100 GBP insurance policy to cover any eventuality arising from
lack of Building Regs approval, but otherwise you do nothing? I'm sure
others can and will comment.

Thanks.. I have heard of these policies, and I would like to know more
- e.g., whether mortgage lenders consider them satisfactory mitigation
of building-regs non-compliance. One solicitor suggested that a flat
that doesn't comply with building regs would be considered a high risk
for lending purposes. Whether buildning-regs indemnity insurance would
mitigate that risk from the POV of a typical mortgage lender, I don't
know.

I also want the flats to be insurable. I'm wondering if non-compliance
with building regs could pose a problem in this respect. I don't know,
but I could imagine that a company insuring against fire damage to a
flat & contents might have some clause in the small print saying that
the poilcy would be void if it was found that the flat didn't meet
such-and-such building regs re fire-proofing.

Hank