Posted to alt.home.repair

Default slab vs basement home

On Feb 27, 1:23 pm, " wrote:
A little off topic, but think those on this site may be a good
judge. What are the up and downsides of
a slab home other than the obvious storage advantage. My husband and
I are thinking of moving and have found some homes we liked that were
on slab. We have always lived in a house with basement , but now
could live without a basement. We live in metro Atlanta. Thanks
Liz

Liz,

One issue you may want to consider is with either type of house you
want to have storm protection. ANY house should have somewhere where
your family can go for an extended time when the weather is turning
dangerous. In a basement, everyone can go and sleep there until the
danger is gone...it is alot harder to sleep in a closet in a slab
house. Considering the destructive power of a tornado (note the latest
school disaster), I would consider it to be a requirement in any house
I would live in that is in an area prone to tornadoes.

Good luck with the house hunt.

TMT