Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
John Barrett John Barrett is offline

Default Looking for simple and reliable voltage doubler 12-24v

"rkremser" wrote in message
.. .
Hello as the topic says i'm looking for a simple design for a 12 to 24
volt convereter. I have been looking around and realize that there are
charge pumps, transfomer methods and inductor methods to use. When it
comes down to it i need up to .5 amps at the 24 volts and it needs to be
reliable and not sensitive to mechanical vibrations (to be mounted on
something similar to a gocart and run off of the 12 volt system) The
smaller the package the better no more than two cubic inches or so. This
will be used to drive two air solenoid valves for shifting and clutching.
Any recomendations are welcome. I know there are many maxim chips that
are very much suitable for the application but for some reason i feel
somewhat hesitant to go the route of a single IC. thanks in advance

I have some 24v hydraulic valves that work just fine at 12v -- so just for
grins -- try tripping the solenoid on 12v -- its just an electromagnet and
may pull suffciently to operate on the lower voltage