Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 3-way switch problems

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well I have to say that you guys are well over my head, but as the OP
I have more data that seems to validate what some have said concerning
the DVM vs Analog meter. With my little micronta on 150V scale and
the switch off, I barley get the needle to move perhaps 10V or so.
With switch on it goes up to 119V as expected.

What is disconcerting to the guy like me who knows enough to be
dangerous, is that in the off position my greenlee voltage detector
goes nuts.

I am not sure what the greenlee is but if it is similar to the voltage
sticks I have seen, somethink like a big ink pen where the thing glows if
near an electric wire.

Just try rubbing it on your cloths and watch it light up from just the small
ammount of static electricity.

Those things require a lot of expierance to tell when you actually have a
voltage that is really connected to the power lines or just picking up some
static or induced voltage.