Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Esche Esche is offline

Default attic insulation questions

I just talked to one of the gurus of accurateBuilding.com who also
show up at the Leonard Loped show on WNYC every month. I told Al that
I consider to put cellulose into my walls. He said don't use
cellulose, because the additives can have some negative effects;
especially if then not evenly distributed. The copper sulfides (Ithink
for fire retardent) might corrode the nails that get in touch with the
insulation and he was suspicious about the fungicides.

He recommended:
* Mineral wool
* Fiberglas
* Perlites

I heard good things about perlites, which don't need additives and
doesn't have issues with moisture, rodents, and is very fire
retardent. So I am looking into that. What I heard is that you can
just poor it in.

Does anybody has experience with using perlites (or vermiculites (same
category of material)) for insulation?

Thanks,
Wilko