Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
ameijers ameijers is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

"Don" wrote in message
"AL" wrote
Don wrote:
We are so far back in the sticks in a very sparsely populated county
that no broadband will ever be available so the choice is dialup or
satellite.
We have the Hughes satellite which works pretty good most of the time.
When the power goes out we'll run the generator through a PC power
backup and then plug the computer and satellite modem into the power
supply and be back online pronto.

I used to think we'd never see broadband where I live but we received
notice last week it was now available. I jumped at the chance to ditch my
satellite (Wildblue). I had not fulfilled the Wildblue agreement for 1 yr
service but the phone company agreed to do an even swap if I'd let them
have the equipment back - DEAL! DSL is so sweet and the same monthly
price as Wildblue...

Our county sounds similar to yours in population size so who knows? you
might get a notice yourself someday.

sniff I want broadband again.
We're in Brown County, south-central Indiana.
Nothing ever changes here.

In Brown County, you don't need broadband. Too much fun available just
outside the door. I'm from the counties just on either side of there, so I
have spent a lot of time on or near 46- I'd trade this brand new DSL line
here in SW MI, for a Brown County address, in a heartbeat.

aem sends...