Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:35:16 -0500, Neon John wrote:

On 2 Mar 2007 10:52:07 -0800, wrote:

On Feb 25, 5:29 pm, "Stormin Mormon" cayoung61-
wrote:
During the 2003 power cut, I found one of my major shortcomings
was air movement. The gas range did a nice job heating the
kitchen, but not any of the rest of the trailer. Since then I've
got a trolling battery, and an inverter. So that I can run some
low wattage lights, and also fans to move the heat around.

Kitchen appliances are not designed to heat houses. I hope you have a
CO detector and smoke detectors. That way, when your house burns down
you can get out safely, then stand real close to the fire to stay
warm.

OTOH, kitchen appliances are not sentenient beings and don't know what
they're heating. They'll no more burn down the house heating air than
they will heating water, roast beef, turkey, etc.

Strawman argument. Nobody has said that appliances might be sentient.
The argument is about wether or not they are designed to be used to heat
a room and they most certainly not.

It won't burn the house down, but you possibly might not live through the
night.

OTOH2, some DO produce a lot of CO. The propane range in my MH can
click off 100 PPM CO in under an hour with all three burners going.

Clearly yours has affected you judging by the quality of your post.