Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Bradford peartree logs question

Will wrote:
I have 6 logs that are 10" across and 12" long. I was wondering what you
think of these loges for turning bowls.
Thanks for your opinions.

Aha! I've been waiting months to say this! Go to my website
http://nmwoodworks.com/gallery . The poster child is a pear wood
kaleidoscope hanging from a walnut stand. You'll find a fuller set of
pics in the "Adult Toys" section. I turned at the boundary between sap
and heartwood and found very nice shadings. Not sure if it's a Bradford
pear or not, but the logs were distinctly darker in the center,

(Search in Google Earth for 12500 West Outer Dr., Detroit, MI to see the
tree while still standing. It's the one off by itself on the right near
the road. You can angle Google Earth enough to maybe be able to make a
better identification of the exact species.)

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000721-0, 03/02/2007
Tested on: 3/2/2007 11:19:56 PM