Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hank Hank is offline

Default Easy list of building regs applicable to houses converted to 2 flats?

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 23:29:32 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Not retrospective, however IME what can and does cause a problem if is
there's a Change of Use, which is the case here, surely? That means that
modern regs will apply - obviously only insofar as it's possible in an
old property; however I suspect it will be very much down to the
interpretation of the individual BCO as to how much he will insist upon
and what he will let you get away with. Therefore pretty much
impossible to provide a checklist of what you need to do.

Thanks for the input. If you are right, and if I understand the
situation correctly, then one option would be to be to apply for
retrospective building regs approval. It will certainly fail in one or
more respects, but the visiting BCO agent will give me a list of what
I must do in the way of improvements, in order to get the certificate.
Is that how it works?

Or should I forget the retrospective building regs approval idea and
just bring the place up to more-or-less 1992 fireproofing and
soundproofing regs and hope the buyer's lender's surveyor will
consider it acceptable.

I also need to insure the property against fire so the fireproofing
improvements would presumably make the place more insurable too.

Hank