Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Easy list of building regs applicable to houses converted to2 flats?

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:04:37 +0000 Hank wrote :
The original conversion was done somewhere around 1991-3, but
I need to bring one of the flats up to scratch in order to sell it
easily. I'm mostly concerned about bringing up to a standard that a
first-time-buyer's lender will deem acceptable. But in case I have
to apply for retrospective building regs approval, I'll need it to
meet the relevant standard for that too.

Building Regulations are not retrospective. Most older conversions
wouldn't begin to satisfy current regulations wrt thermal and sound
insulation and fire safety. But they still get sold and bought. The
crucial thing is whether there are any defects that would get a
mortgage surveyor excited.

Not retrospective, however IME what can and does cause a problem if is
there's a Change of Use, which is the case here, surely? That means that
modern regs will apply - obviously only insofar as it's possible in an
old property; however I suspect it will be very much down to the
interpretation of the individual BCO as to how much he will insist upon
and what he will let you get away with. Therefore pretty much
impossible to provide a checklist of what you need to do.

David