Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX vs. CPVC vs. Copper

On Mar 2, 5:13�pm, "Andrew" wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm rehabbing a bathroom on the second floor of my old house in
Philadelphia, and I'm running all new supply lines. *I'll be tapping
into copper in the basement, and I have a wide open chase to get to
the second floor. *What should I run? *Copper is getting awfully
expensive these days, and I'm curious about the cpvc and pex. *The
simplicity really appeals to me. *What's the word on the reliability
of the plastics? *Are they really easier to work with? *What about
durability? * Am I going to have to make sure that all the connections
are easily accessible? *I'm just curious about general opinions people
have and what to watch out for. *Thanks,

Andrew

I just finished re-plumbing my old galvanized pipes and I used PEX. *If you
search a little on this group you'll probably find a few of my old posts on
this very topic. *I waver back and forth between PEX and copper, reliability
is a big question in my mind, the issues with Polybutalene are too real and
in my mind PEX MIGHT possibly have the same problems??? *I still went with
it, it's a snap to install, can be very wasteful when it comes to the
tubing, but the tubing is very cheap. *Common fittings are available locally
and are reasonably inexpensive. *Personally I think copper and PEX are a
wash when it comes to small jobs, but that's just me.

PEX looks very messy, so if the tubing is exposed it will look dangerous and
half-assed to the casual observer - but that's just what it looks like.

Yeah, everything will be concealed, so it won't be that big a deal.
Having nearly set my house on fire several times sweating copper, the
snap connections really appeal to me. *As long as they're reliable,
the cost almost doesn't even matter. *The manifolds seem really
convenient too. *One other thing, since you've been living with PEX
for awhile, is there any taste or smell to the water that comes
through it? *I was wondering if maybe the hot water lines in
particular might be noticeable.- Hide quoted text -

PEX is better no fittings Ts etc buried in walls

Run seperate lines for sink, tub, toilet etc.

Better flow, easier service with manifold.

Flushing toilet doesnt effect person showering.