Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
[email protected] larryc@teleport.com is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

On Feb 25, 4:32 pm, mm wrote:

I keep plenty of canned (and frozen) food in the house because I like
to have a variety available at meal time.

For 20 years I kept powdered condensed milk for emergencies, but
there's never been a time I couldn't get to the store within 2 days,
which is often as I go anyhow. So I tried the milk and it was
terrible, and I don't think it was because it was 20 years old.
Canned condensed milke might be better. My mother used that for
custards or something.

Powdered milk is for cooking, like that biscuit recipe that calls for
milk or a loaf of bread. You can also get powdered buttermilk, which
works well for buttermilk pancakes. Powdered milk is nonfat milk
solids.

Evaporated milk is palatable, but it doesn't taste like fresh milk.
It has been cooked. It's great for cooked milk recipes like puddings
and custards. You cut it with an equal amount of water to
reconstitute it. If you need to stretch it, you can mix it with
reconstituted powdered milk and end up with a low fat product that
isn't horrible.

Condensed milk is sweetened, and normally just used in confectioner's
recipes.

I normally keep a couple gallons of milk (in quart cardboard
containers) frozen in the freezer. The milk solids separate in the
freezing, but you can shake the crap out of the carton and mix it back
up again.

Another thing I run out of during disasters is eggs. I toss a few
containers of "scramblers" (pasteurized egg product) in the freezer,
and thaw them when the fresh eggs are gone. Since they are
pasteurized, you can use them in old time recipes to make real ice
cream or caesar dressing. In the old days they used to sell powdered
eggs, which tasted horrible by themselves, but cooked up nicely in
recipes.