Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Gas Hot Water Heater Making Whining Noise

wrote:
I just did a tested the TP valve, and it it releasing pressure (I can
hear water draining out of the pipe connected to it). There is no
leak, not a dribble. I also just checked all of the connections I can
see for leaks and I do not see any.

OK you found the problem, but it may be one of two problems. It may be
the TP valve itself, I am sure it can be replaced and it is likely a
standard valve, but I really don't know. But it may also be doing exactly
what it was intended to do and the pressure or temperature is going to high.
Do you have a drain valve? If so try to find someone to loan you a pressure
gauge that fits it and find out what the pressure is in that tank. Also can
you hold you hand in the hot water coming out of the kitchen faucet?

So, would you think the TP valve is weak if it works quickly and
properly to relieve pressure?

I'm a little concerned about needing to replace it since all the
paperwork states that this hot water heater (http://
waterheating.rheem.com/oem/catalogRes_detail.asp?id=21) is designed
specifically for MF homes. So, I'm not sure I can go to Home Depot
and just purchase any correctly sized HW heater.

So, when do I know if it needs to be replaced. When it explodes,
starts leaking, or stops providing hot water? I certainly don't want
to wait for option A to happen.

Thanks again for the replies,
Kim

--