Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Grewal Grewal is offline

Default A cool Unit converter.

As for your conversion utility, my very first observation is that it
is US-centric.

Thanks for your criticism, you sure brought up some good points. Even
though I included English/imperial units in the program but I sure
forgot to consider the different spellings used (So far I found only
two, litre & metre!).

As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, the website is still
in the developing mode. All I have done so far is to create a
mechanism by which unit addition/deletion or editing can be done
easily without doing any re-coding under the hood. Then I picked
bunch of most commonly used units (including English) and put it on
the web to see the response from the community. The idea behind this
is that If I can a good number of users hooked up, the unit database
will be populated itself to become a more comprehensive resource.

Units can be added here http://www.mycoolaids.com/Module/Uni...ubmitUnit.aspx

Regarding your queries below, most of them didn't work as I didn't
include the unit name plurals it (A user earlier in the thread has
already suggested it). So I updated the program to understand the
plurals for commonly used units (I don't want all the unit plurals to
be included as they reduce the effectiveness of auto complete
feature.)

So all of following are now accepted by the program as good inputs.

30 metre to ft
1 litre to pints
tonne to pounds
1 knot to mph

Following require some changes (auto complete feature helps rectifying
it)
1 tonne in pounds = use " to " instead of " in " as I have
reserved " in " as unit name for inch. This is just a syntax
preference that I picked.

1 btu to kwh = use kWh instead. (W is the SI symbol for watt )

With respect, I think your converter has a long way to go before it
can even come close to the utility of Google's.

I don't disagree with this! I don't put this up against Google (I
would be daydreaming otherwise) that is jack of all trade. Google
search box is a Calculator, currency converter, unit converter,
Permutation /combination solver ......... .and what not!

mine is just a simple converter created with an approach to simplify
the conversion by instantly providing a reference to unit definition
being used in conversion.

Even queries that you provided above contain at least two units with
more then one definition. You may know what you intended to solve but
many out there don't! Those folks are what I am looking for as user
base for this gadget.

pint US dry pint, US liquid pint or Imperial pint ;
pound pound troy or apothecary, or pound avoirdupois;

Grewal.