DougR

Default Which TIG should I buy?

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in message ...
In article snt0c.10683$PR3.227192@attbi_s03, Chief McGee
wrote:

Need to weld 4130 tubing, .058 wall. Also some aluminum
I am pretty fair with a stick. Very little gas experience
Need a TIG that is forgiving for a first timer. Not too pricey.
Any suggestions? Thanks

The cheapest AC/DC TIG would be a used Miller Econotig.
They tend to fetch about $800 on eBay.
They work fine for simple stuff.

The best buy on a new one would be the Thermal Arc Prowave 185TSW.
It is an AC/DC inverter based TIG, comes with a full setup, and goes
new for about $1700.

Check carefully when considering a used Econotig. With the earlier
models the max amperage setting on the dial didn't affect the foot
pedal operation. In other words, the foot pedal ALWAYS had the same
range, from minimum to machine's max amperage. The pedal range could
not be scaled back to reflect the max amperage setting on the dial,
the dial's reading only worked with stick welding.

I know this because I had one of of the first series that came out.
Apparently, they changed this on the later models. Another thing I
didn't like about the Econotig, the sales literature and the machine's
manual said there was an inexpensive accessory that would allow an
amperage setting below the facory minimum of 15 (or was it 20) amps.
Such an accessory never was available from Miller.

I sold the Econotig while it was still bright and shiny, got a Lincoln
175 in place of it.