Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default attic insulation questions

wrote in message

I need to insulate the attic, and I have some questions/concerns I
hope someone can help me out.

I have 2x6 in the attic, and it is about 80-90% covered with really
old what appears to be unfaced R19 fiberglass batts. It looks very
dirty (I replaced the roof so lots of dust falled on it) and aged.
Some of it is only half the height of the 2x6.

I've gotten some bids, and it is about $1400 for blow-in fiberglass,
and $1100 for blow-in cellulose of R30. All of them said I can leave
what I have up there, and just blow on top of it. (I am in San
Francisco area and the recommended attic is R38)

I just bought unfaced batts and put them in myself. It only took an
afternoon.

Bob