Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

Jonathan Grobe wrote in
:

We just had a ice storm and I had no electricity for 22 hours. I
was mostly unprepared and didn't like the experience at all.

What are you doing to prepare for this?

Thanks.

Usually nothing. But this winter we have already had two outages.
The first was due to high winds bringing down the lines. THe second
was due to a car bringing down a power pole.

The first one I was ready for. When i heard the forcast for high winds
I hung the camping lantern from the hook in the living room celing and
made sure the camp stove was fueled up. We filled the freezer with ice
packs. When the power went out, my wife transfered the ice packs and
some food into the cooler. Big supprise was finding out that the gas
fireplace didn't have an emergency bypass. I have now have an inverter
and can run the fire place off a battery if necessary.