Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OOOPS! Anybody ever break an alignment in a Delta 14 inch bandsaw(or equivalent)?

Joe wrote:
On Feb 28, 8:26 pm, "marc rosen" wrote:

Well, I did it. I was trying to install a riser in another Delta 14
inch bandsaw and I snapped the back pin in half. It was sliding out
of the holes when I failed to lift the top arm evenly and it just let
go. Does anyone have any proven suggestions for removing the broken
pieces? These are blind holes and those pins will not drill at all.
Thanks in advance for any insight provided.
Marc

An old auto mechanics trick is to tack a small bead on top of the
broken dowel, bolt, or whatever with the MIG welder. This assumes it
is not broken far down in the hole. After the bead cools a bit, add to
it and repeat until the build up is enough to grab with Visegrips.
Almost all of us have a friend with a MIG machine these days so it
might wprk for you. HTH

Joe

I've seen similar results by TIG welding a piece of key stock to the
broken pieces. The heat expands everything, then when it cools down,
the stuck piece usually comes out pretty easy. I've seen lots of
broken setscrews and taps taken out this way.