Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default Old door/ new life

"C & E" wrote in message
We live in a mid '70's rancher with luan doors and ranch trim throughout.
With real estate going crazy I believe we'll be staying right where we
raised our family - our home. OK, enough sniveling...

snip

Thanks for helping me get my head out of my butt and show me some reality.
I was getting a bit carried away. Notes:
The jambs are indeed clear pine with good old varnish top coat and no stain.
The hall trim had been redone a few years ago in natural oak and water
soluble MinWax acrylic. I've spotted some Varathane which may come close to
matching this. This either simplifies or complicates the issue but I'm
seeing a 'can-do' situation. I have hung a few doors and do have a set of
router templates for the round-edge, modern style butt hinges. I'd probably
cut a piece of 2-by and mill it to the same thickness as the door to
practice template placement. OK, I'm actually having thoughts of my very
own - how novel! All kidding aside kicking around ideas is one of the
strong points of NGs. Thanks, folks! Chuck