Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Dead circuit, breakers all good

Ook wrote:
I have lost an entire circuit - 6 dead outlets, 2 dead switches, all along
one set of walls. All of the breakers are good, I even tested the wires
coming out of the breakers to make sure they were hot (wife bought me a
nifty no contact bells and whistles dvm ), and all it tells me is that
all of the hot wires are really hot. There are no wires running to the area
in the basement, and the attic is open and I don't see any wires there
either. I'm not really sure where the circuit is fed from, and tearing out
walls isn't an option. Any suggestions on how to find where the wire that
feeds the circuit comes from? Are there any devices that can detect wires
behind sheetrock, or otherwise allow you to trace wires without tearing the
wall apart? This should not be difficult, but so far I've got a dead circuit
and no idea where it gets fed from.

sure, unhook it from the panel, get yourself a tone generator and probe,
and knock yourself out.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.