Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.equipment
Ken Smith Ken Smith is offline

Default Calibration Of Electronic Equipment In The Home Workshop

In article , doug doug@doug wrote:
Ken Smith wrote:
In article , doug doug@doug wrote:

A mistake go read it if you want.

No. One part in 100 million (10^-8) is 100 times

Yes, I misread the statement.

[....]
uncompensated or poorly compensated timebases are basically useless for
any serious work.

That depends a lot on your definition of "serious". There are lots of
things where just being within 100PPM is more than good enough. RS232 is
ok up to 5% error. If the so called 60Hz in your motor home was actually
59.9Hz, I don't think you would mind.

The other nice part about the high stability
references is that you can distribute it to all the synthesizers on your
bench and everything is coherent.
Of course it depends on what you do. For my ham work, one ppm is fine.
I do other work where the Rb source is not good enough.

A lot of them have worse short term noise than a good OCXO.

forging knowledge