Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How to fix worn steps on a wooden staircase in old terraced house

bp wrote:

WHat I want to know is what is the best way to fix. Do I have to
replace the whole staircase. This seems expensive.

Seems a bit excessive as well...

Is there a way where just the steps can be replaced?

Only if you have easy access to the underside of the staircase - then it
might be possible to replace the tread.

What the previous owner did (fixing wood on top of the worn steps) -
is that OK to do. I could use better wood (possible ply etc) and fix
onto all steps. the steps would all be the same. Is this OK in terms
of safety etc.

If you do it to all the stpes, and use something a bit stronger like 9mm
ply then it ought to be fine. I would route a roundover on the leading
edges to stop the corner of the step cutting into the carpet.

An extra layer of carpet underlay at the foot and head of the stairs
would eliminate most of the difference in rise to the first and last
steps without feeling too odd.

--
Cheers,

John.