Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating for cottage, cabin

On Mar 1, 8:18?am, "Chris" wrote:
Hello,

I have a small cottage (construction in progress) where living during
the weekends; there is one room, 16' x 24' with a cathedral ceiling,
16' high at the top.
Inside this, is an open (no walls) mezzanine (as bedroom) 16' x 12'.
For heating I have installed a wood stove and a ceiling fan for air
circulation.
As a second option for heating (mainly during the night or when not
in), I did install baseboards for heating this room with a total power
of 4000 watts.
The sizing formula for baseboards, I found from web, is:
"Required power (in watts) for baseboards is calculated by multiplying
the number of square feet in a given room by 10."
Thus a 16 x 24 ft. room (380 sq. ft) will require 3,840 watts of power
(380 x 10).
I am using one programmable thermostat which supports 4000 watts.
I am wondering if this is enough, considering there is a cathedral
ceiling and living in areas where in winter is cold (Canada).
If I have to add more heating elements, is it better to add portable
heaters or another thermostat with new baseboards?
How many watts should I add for heating elements?

Thank you, Chris

The cathedral cieling is a killer, I would of gone with radiant floor
heat, puts heat where you are.

in cathedral cieling ALL heat goes to peak. cieling fan helps but
creatyes cool draft.

4000 watts totally undersized, might be lucky to keep building barely
above freezing in zero weather.

so how thick are the walls? what sort of insulation? closed cell foam
R6 PER INCH elminates drafts too.