Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Ode to Hardware Stores

Leon wrote:

I have a local hardware store that beats the pants off the local Borg's
pricing, on most everything I buy there.

Same here with the "new" guys. My local electrical, plumbing, and paint
suppliers do very well, too.

For tools, Coastal Tool and Tools Plus kill both of them on price. Our
BORG's are NOT cheaper.

The thing is, I think Dick lives in FL. When I visit my mom or dad down
there, I have a hard time finding local guys like I can here in CT.
There seems to be a very different attitude, where the local suppliers
won't deal at all with retail sales and the local residents don't seem
to care. My local Winnelson, Electrical Wholesalers, finish suppliers,
etc.. have no problem selling to a little guy like me, usually @
wholesale + a very reasonable retail markup.

For instance, I'm re-ducting my DC from 4" PVC to 6" 26 ga. steel. A
local HVAC supplier sold me materials for 25% less than Home Depot, had
it all in stock, and had it picked and ready to go when I arrived. The
HVAC guy even offered to drop it off! G