George

Default Garage door update

My door works like new now. After we took the spring assemblies
apart, we found one spring that was just totally fried. The other
three springs looked okay.

Interestingly, I found that the color codes on the springs appear to
be useless across brands. The colors on my springs, the springs at
Ace Hardware and the springs at Home Depot all appear different. I
measured my springs and they came out the same as 160# units. Thus,
I replaced the one worn out spring and everything works great. They
were $18/each and I figured I'd save the money.

Another interesting thing I found was that the four springs on my 7x16
wood door were actually two sets of springs. Two 180 pound springs
and two 160 pounds springs.

--George

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 05:39:03 GMT, Glenn Lyford
wrote:

d. If the pulleys are cheap, I may shotgun the fix and replace all 4
while I am at it.

They are, do. It made a world of difference on my doors...
--Glenn Lyford