Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Electric oven connection

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:42:41 +0000 someone who may be Nick H
wrote this:-

I'm about to buy a new built in electric oven (Stoves) and its rated at
13 amps. Can this be connected to a standard 13 A socket via a normal
plug or does it have to be done in some other way ?

To add to what the others have said, why would you want to connect
it to a socket?

Ovens are on for a fair amount of time, especially while warming up
and thus will take a fair amount of the capacity of any circuit they
are connected to. Kitchen socket circuits tend to be heavily loaded
anyway with washing equipment, without adding another high current
appliance.

Unless the circuit you are thinking of plugging it into is unusually
lightly loaded you should do the job properly, with a suitable
dedicated circuit. Make this a 30A circuit and there is provision
for a whole electric cooker in the future.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh