Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Security card latches

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Has anyone ever installed swipe card locks on their home rather than use
traditional lock and key? What about those cards you use in hotels?

I am a locksmith and perhaps I can give you a little perspective.

The hotels use card locks so they can program the keys not to work past
your
check-out time so that the guy that rented your room last night cant come
in
an help himself to your stuff.

You can buy a stand alone card activated lock and use any card in your
pocket like your ATM or even your drivers license to unlock your door, but
be ready to spend at least $700 and that price could be a lot higher if
modification to your door is needed (probable)

For about half that price you can get commercial pushbutton lock, or for
150
to 200 you can probably get a residential grade knob dead bolt set up that
will allow you to go keyless.

When ever I had this discussion before, the price has always been the
determining factor. Key locks are cheap.

Why do you desire something else?

--
Roger Shoaf

Well to answer the question, and I'm sure a lot of people are wondering why
I care that much.

Really I was just curious, that's all (pretty anti-climactic ain't it?).

But as to the larger issue, I understand that it's simpler to smash a
window - although putting bars on the windows will prevent that. Kicking
the door in or something similar works too I guess. The point of my
question wasn't to burglar-proof my house so much as to provide other
options that are available. I use a proximity badge at work, but I wouldn't
put something so computer and electricity dependent in my house - unless I
decide to install a house brain.

As for hotel card keys, I was more referring to the older style cards with
holes in them. I really on saw those for a couple years before they went to
credit card style. I wouldn't want a credit card style in my house either.

On the keypad locks, don't know about that. How many digits do they allow
you on your lock combo. Seems like a three digit would be a trifle too
easy. A 4 digit would thwart pretty much anyone. A 5 digit and no one is
gonna crack it - not unless they stand there on the front porch for 30
hours.

But again, this wasn't meant as an exercise in paranoia so much as just a
question about options.